Sidney August Cammeresi IV
IN OPERIBUS PERFECTIONEM
I am a Principal Engineer at DataPelago. I often focus on product quality by creating tools that help other developers, by making it harder to introduce bugs, by monitoring source code changes, and by mentoring new developers.
I was previously a Principal Engineer for MariaDB Xpand, the best distributed relational database in the world, which no one knew about. I worked on it for 12 years, first at Clustrix and then at MariaDB, up until its cancellation. I spent a lot of time on improving performance at scale by any means necessary, be that by increasing the degree of multinode, multicore parallelization or by improving the efficiency of internal data balancing processes. I also did many projects related to storage such as skiplist tables, columnar indices, and undo processing. The product was immensely interesting, having being written in continuation passing C code that used an asynchronous runtime before such became widely popular.
- 2015 — Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration from the Edinburgh Business School at Heriot-Watt University
- 2003 — Master of Computer Science from the University of Illinois
- 2000 — BS in Computer Science from the University of Illinois
- kettlebells — snatching a 24-kg (53-lb) iron ball with a handle from the floor to overhead without dying
- ham radio — local and long distance communication, many operating awards
- redundant power — with a wending into PCB design
- speaking Italian — since 2007, decent fluency, also a dual citizen
- learning Korean — since 2017, a big challenge—도전—including learning some Chinese—中國語—to improve vocabulary
- fountain pens — writing it down to remember it now
- wearing capes — Italian and Spanish
- studying Objectivism — practicing loyalty to rational principles
From August 2009 until March 2011, my wife and I lived in Rome, Italy. It was quite an adventure. We raise our two children bilingually, and I speak to them only in Italian. Even though English is my native language, in their entire lives, I have never spoken to them in English.
In 2020, at the beginning of those unprecedented times, I became a rye baker. I have several types of rye bread and other rye-based foods in my repertoire. I grind almost all flour myself from rye and several other grains.
Copyright © 1998-2023 Sidney August Cammeresi IV.
All rights reserved.
This content may not be reproduced in any form or manner without the express written permission of the author. The moral right of the author has been asserted.